The House

The Presidency, as the house was called, was not an official residence but a private home.  This was a modest residence where the Kruger’s maintained a simple yet elegant lifestyle.  The house has been refurbished to look almost as it did during the time President and Mrs Kruger lived there, based on a thorough study of the available evidence of the original furnishings.

In the early years of the 20th century, after the death of both Gezina Kruger and President Kruger, the house had a rather chequered existence, first as headquarters of the South African Constabulary and later as a private hotel.  Still later it was turned into a maternity hospital.  In 1925 the Union government of South Africa purchased the property, and it took many years of intensive research, fieldwork and restoration to return it to a semblance of its original self.  Wherever possible original pieces of furniture and other objects and articles were traced and brought back to the house.  Where not, similar pieces were acquired.  The house was also furnished with carpets, curtains and wallpaper similar to the original.  Two inventories and a single photograph still in existence and information gained from Kruger family members were of great help with the refurnishing.

The Kruger museum was finally opened in 1934 and declared a National monument in 1937.

Kruger Museum

The Kruger Museum and its contents bear witness to the forceful personality of the man who lived there as leader of a small republic in southern Africa, at a stormy and unsettling time of his people’s long struggle against British imperialism.

The Museum consists of the original house in which S.J.P. Kruger, President of the old Zuid-Afrikaansche Republiek (ZAR), and his family lived during the last years of the 19th century, as well as two display halls and President Kruger’s State Railway Coach.

The Kruger house, built in 1884, was the original home of Paul Kruger, President of the former Transvaal Boer Republic. The house has been refurbished to reflect the time when the President and his wife, Gezina Kruger, lived there. International admiration for Paul Kruger and the struggle for freedom from British imperialism, his journey to Europe and his exile, are illustrated in the exhibitions. Adjacent to the Kruger Museum is the former Bantu Commissioner’s Office Building, erected in 1932 on the same site as the old Native Pass Office. The people of Tshwane and environs remember the building as “gaMohle”. Its history of enforcing the Pass Laws dates back to 1896 when Paul Kruger’s government used the site for its police headquarters.

Paul Kruger

Stephanus Johannes Paulus Kruger was born in the Cape Province on 10 October 1825 and baptised in the Dutch Reformed parish of Cradock.  In 1836 his family joined the Voortrekker leader Andries Potgieter and settled in the Western Transvaal where Paul was granted the farm Waterkloof near Rustenburg.

He married Maria du Plessis in 1842 and after her death a few years later he married her cousin, Gezina who bore him sixteen children (seven daughters and nine sons of which some died in infancy).  In 1845 he became more and more involved in the politics of the Voortrekker state north of the Vaal River.  This Boer republic was annexed by the British in 1877 and Paul Kruger took a leading role in the Transvaal War against Britain in 1889-1881.  At the age of 57 Kruger was elected President of the Zuid-Afrikaansche Republiek (ZAR) and took up residence at Kruger House in Pretoria.

Museum View

Admission Fees

Prices for Adults, Learners and Senior Citizens

Adults Domestic
R45.00 p/p
Adults : International
R75.00 p/p
Learners and Children
R25.00 p/p
R30.00 p/p
SA Senior Citizens
R30.00 p/p
Guided Tour (with Museum Guide)   (prior arrangement)
R60.00 p/p
Guided Tour (with Museum Guide)   (international visitors)
R95.00 p/p
Guided Tours for Senior Citizens / Students
R40.00 p/p
School Groups: Children (Teachers Free)
 R35.00 p/p

Contact Information

Physical Address:
60 WF Nkomo Street, Pretoria

Contact Details

Tel: 012 321 0816, 012 492 5744
Fax: 012 326 9595

Weekdays: 08:30 – 16:30
Weekends and Public Holidays :09:00 – 16:30
(Except Good Friday and Christmas Day)

EXTENDED OPENING HOURS – September to November

Weekdays: 08:30 – 17:30
Weekends and Public Holidays :09:00 – 17:00

Learn more